Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
[aclug-L] Laptop Suggestions?

To: Air Cap Linux Users Group <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Laptop Suggestions?
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 06:34:56 -0600

I heard on the radio last night that there will be another computer sale
show at the Red Coach Inn at I-135 and 53rd St. North this coming
Saturday.  I'm in the market for the following:

An older laptop (pre-owned most likely) known to support Linux, or the
upcoming Debian 2.1 in particular, well at a reasonable price.  I'm
looking for something in the Pentium 90 to 166 MHz range mostly for
taking back to the farm with me on weekends for checking email and
hacking.  I definitely want a color display that XFree is able to
support at a minimum of 800x600 @ 64k colors (16 bpp).  Sound would be
nice, but not mandatory along with support for an external keyboard,
mouse, and of course monitor (am I asking too much?).  PCMCIA would
probably be very nice as I wouldn't have to worry about getting a
proprietary internal 33.6 kbps (minimum) modem or ethernet card.

It seems the more I investigate this area, the more confused I get and
Linux distribution support for various laptop models seems to vary
widely (due mostly to the laptop manufacturers).

If anyone on the list has a suggestion on a particular model to look
for, or stay away from, I would appreciate it.  Also, if you're running
a Linux distro on a laptop, what problems and difficulties have you
encountered?  What went well?

Thanks,

- Nate >>

--