Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] 2.0.36 Questions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] 2.0.36 Questions
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:08:51 -0600

John Goerzen wrote:

> It sounds like a module loading problem; if you compiled the code pages as
> modules, maybe they're not yet loaded at the time fstab is processed.  It
> shouldn't hurt much of anything unless you are using characters not in the
> English alphabet.
>
> John

Ok, now, if it is a module loading problem, then how do I figure out
what alias to put in my /etc/modules.conf (Slackware, ya know)?  I
hunted high and low and didn't find an answer.  The vfat.txt
documentation indicates passing the codepage and charset arguments to
the vfat driver on the mount commandline, but didn't give an example of
how to do this.  It also says that codepage 437 and charset iso8559-1
are the default, so, it may be my system is old enough to be lacking
some NLS library found in newer distributions.  I do have a bunch of
keysyms installed, but I assume they are installed correctly as I'm able
to read everything printed in English! ;)

Next, I'll try compiling the page files directly into the kernel,
perhaps that will solve it as depmod does run after fstab is run, come
to think of it.

Thanks!

- Nate >>

--