Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 1999:
[aclug-L] 2.0.36 Questions

To: Air Cap Linux Users Group <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] 2.0.36 Questions
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:33:46 -0600

Hi All.

Well, I finally decided to move my system from 2.0.33 to 2.0.36 and have
successfully compiled the kernel, and so far everything seems to be
working.  I was a bit puzzled when I configured this kernel that in the
filesystems section there was a note that National Language Support
(NLS) is required to utilize vfat and iso-9660 filesystems.  It also
presents a selection of code pages and ISO character sets for one's
language of choice.  The configuration help states that code page 437
and char set iso8559-1 are the default.

Initially, I compiled the code page 437 and iso8559-1 character set as
modules.  On boot I received similar to the following error when the
partitions in /etc/fstab are mounted:

Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 >
 hdb: hdb1 hdb2
Adding Swap: 34268k swap-space (priority 2144)
Max size:332784   Log zone size:2048
First datazone:68   Root inode number 139264
ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
Unable to load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)
Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)
Unable to load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)
Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)
Unable to load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)
Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)

/etc/fstab shows:

/dev/hda3       swap        swap        defaults   1
0
/dev/hda2       /        ext2        defaults   1
1
/dev/hdc        /cdrom          iso9660         ro      0
0
/dev/hda1       /DOS/C  vfat    defaults,gid=200,umask=000      1
0
/dev/hdb1       /DOS/D  vfat    defaults,gid=200,umask=000      1
0
/dev/hda5       /DOS/E  vfat    defaults,gid=200,umask=000      1
0
none             /proc    proc        defaults   1
1

So, I am concluding the error is coming from the vfat kernel driver
after reading /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt.

There seems to be no real harm coming from this error as I seem to be
able to read vfat partitions just fine.  I just don't like errors on
boot-up.  :)

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "FAILURE IS NOT