Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 1999:
[aclug-L] Meeting dates, topics, suggestions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Meeting dates, topics, suggestions
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:32:04 -0600

Hello,

A number of people have made suggestions recently regarding ACLUG meetings.
I'd like to share these suggestions here, and see what people think of them.
If there is support, we'll go forth and see about implementing at least
some.

First, I mentioned in the note to -announce the other day a possiblity of
some sort of trivia contest.  If anyone has a suggestion about the format of
this, please let me know, because I don't have any good ideas yet :-)
Ideally, the audience would supply questions, and the people that answer the
most questions and the ones that ask the most questions that stump the
answerers would get some sort of prize.

Secondly, Jeff Schaller mentioned that other Linux groups sometimes have a
potluck-style meeting.  I think we could use this idea when the weather is a
bit warmer.  For those of you that remember, there was once a regular
Wichita-area BBS get-together in the Sedgwick County Park (right next to the
zoo).  I think it might be a great idea to have one of those every month or
two for Wichita-area Linux enthusiasts.  No presentation, but maybe some
barbecue?  Suggestions welcome about this.

Another concern that some have mentioned regards our meeting time.  (I
should point out that whatever is decided about this, our next meeting will
remain on Monday, the 25th.)  Apparently, the WSU CS Dept. has scheduled an
Advanced Unix class that conflicts with our meeting time, so a  number of
people that would like to attend our meetings won't be able to do so.  If
there is to be any change in meeting date, it will need to be agreed to by
people outside WSU.  So I'd like comments about possibly moving the meeting
to Tuesday -- whether or not people would be in favor of it, etc.  I am
nervous about moving meeting days based on one class, but if enough people
are sucked out of our meetings because of it, maybe a change is warranted.

Thanks,
John Goerzen