Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Problems configuring modem

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Problems configuring modem
From: Dale W Hodge <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:39:32 -0600 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Bates, Rod wrote:

> I am having problems getting my modem configured to talk
> ppp to Southwind.
>
> Minicom's built in default command strings will initialize
> it and get it to dial, get a carrier, and a login screen from
> southwind.  However, it's extreeeemly slow in sending back
> stuff, a dozen or so characters every 30-60 seconds.
>
> It never seems to return "OK", even tho' its documentation
> says it will, and it's initialized with the command to return
> results as words.

>From what you've said above, I'd suspect an interrupt problem.  Make sure
that if this is an internal modem it isn't on the com port/interrupt as
the built in ports.  Also, if you have a network card, make sure it isn't
on the same irq as the modem. Modems will 'sort of' work with wrong
interrupts, but they are always sloooooow....

I hope this helps!

 Dale W Hodge  dwh@xxxxxxxx, dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
 Web Page: www.sktc.net/~dwh, www.dnd.ddns.org
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a