Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] Problems configuring modem

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Problems configuring modem
From: "Bates, Rod" <Rod.Bates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:21:07 -0600

I am having problems getting my modem configured to talk
ppp to Southwind.

Minicom's built in default command strings will initialize
it and get it to dial, get a carrier, and a login screen from
southwind.  However, it's extreeeemly slow in sending back
stuff, a dozen or so characters every 30-60 seconds.

It never seems to return "OK", even tho' its documentation
says it will, and it's initialized with the command to return
results as words.

If I use minicom's built in commands to initialize and dial,
then those things happen at reasonable speed.  If I just
type the modem commands in minicom's input buffer,
I get the terribly slow thing.

It responds to the initialization string by echoing a copy
of it.  I can get it to initialize using pppd/chat by putting
this in as the expected result.

Other, related mysteries:

Does "~" in minicom command strings mean delay for some
time?  It's all over the default strings, but not mentioned
in the man page.  Does chat also recognize this?

Does chat treat "^M" as carriage return?  There seem to be
some of these both coming and going, but I find no mention
of it in the chat man page.

Whem minicom initializes the modem automatically at
startup, the string which is displayed is different from the
one in the minicom initialization setup in that it ends
with "...Q" rather than with "...Q0".  When I use minicom's
initialize command explicitly, the zero get echoed.

My modem manual (SupraExress 288i pnp) doesn't list
ATZ as a command, but it's in minicom's reset string, seems
to be accepted, and minicom man says these default strings
should work on all modems.  There is other evidence that
the modem manual has mistakes.

The -V option to chat doesn't seem to work when the
chat command is  put in the options file and issued
by pppd, but it does when chat is run from the command
line.

If I give pppd the wrong serial port device, I get a message
claiming my kernel does not have ppp support.  Otherwise,
it goes ahead.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Rodney Bates