Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] Mouse problem

To: "ACLUG-list" <ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Mouse problem
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:46:04 -0600

Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem.  I have a Red Hat (5.1) system that I've been
setting up for a friend.  I thought I was about ready to ship it to him, but
I decided to install gnome first.

I installed that, but haven't set it up to run yet.  When I started X to
check the html instructions for gnome, I experienced a strange problem with
the mouse.  When you start X, you can move the mouse maybe halfway across
the screen and then it will stop.  At that point, I notice a disk access and
the mouse won't move again.  I'm having to shut down the X server with
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get out.  The rest of the system seems ok.  The mouse
behavior is similar under gpm at the command line.

I don't know how this happened, since I've been using this X setup (with
fvwm95) for 2-3 weeks now.  The only thing I can think is that it has
something to do with the installation of gnome.  I had to clean up the disk
because it was out of space and I removed a few rpms (which didn't have
dependancies on them) and deleted stuff from the /tmp directory.  These
should have been pretty innoculous.

Got any ideas what my problem is?

Thanks,
Greg