Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1998:
[aclug-L] Favorite Linux Vendor?

To: "ACLUG-list" <ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Favorite Linux Vendor?
From: "Greg House" <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:36:17 -0600

Thought this might be an interesting discussion.  I can think of LSL,
LinuxCentral, LinuxMall, and CheapBytes right off the top of my head.  I've
ordered from LSL and LinuxCentral and have been pleased with both.

LSL, however held my order for a week without telling me because part of it
was backordered.  I called and they shipped the rest right away.  On the
other hand, when I shopped via the Web ordering pages, I found that LSL was
the only one that didn't gouge on the shipping.  Most of them will charge
you $8.00 or so to ship a single CD (that they price at about $2.00...).  I
understand the reason places like that have minimum shipping charges, I just
don't like to have to pay for it.  I recently got a flyer in the mail from
LinuxMall and they had a blurb in it about reducing the shipping if the
order was very small.  I didn't see anything like that on their online order
form...

LSL also sells PCs with Linux pre-loaded on them.  Looked like pretty good
prices too.

Greg