Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] [ off topic ]

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] [ off topic ]
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 10:51:07 -0600

First, let me say that I have never used BeOS myself.  So what I'm saying
here is second-hand and may not be correct.

Now then.  Before I start in on other features, I want you point out that
BeOS is not free software, does not have source, and therefore lacks all the
benefits that Linux users get from that.  This in itself is problematic; it
means that there are, in general, fewer features and less software for BeOS
compared to Linux, and that it does not understand industry standards like
X.

The story I've heard is that BeOS surpasses Linux for video editing and
perhaps sound editing but Linux beats BeOS for everything else.  Current
Linux window managers like Enlightenment and WindowMaker provide excellent
GUIs for Linux, so BeOS has no advantage there.

John

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |