Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Debian 2.0

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Debian 2.0
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:16:31 -0600

Hello Jeff,

As a developer for Debian, these sorts of comments are not new.  For people
that are newer to Linux, I do recommend RedHat.  Once you've figured out a
bit about its config files, then Debian should be OK.

For most questions, you can just press Enter and let it use the defaults.

You might want to check out some Debian documentation:

http://www.linuxpress.com/ has a Debian manual you can buy, and has it
online in HTML form!  It's written by a Debian developer.

http://www.debian.org/support has good references of places to ask your
questions

http://www.debian.org/doc/ has references to some documentation points: the
Debian FAQ, a Linux FAQ, and a user-run FAQ on Debian's site.  Also, at the
bottom of that page, there's a link to installation instructions.

Feel free to ask here about questions for which you don't know the answer.

Debian is geared towards people more experienced with Linux and gives them a
very powerful and stable system.  At the moment, there is no flashy config
system like RedHat has.  This is in the works, but don't expect it until
release 2.2 (or perhaps 3.0, depending) at the earliest.

Incidentally, release 2.1 is coming along and is in feature-freeze.  It is
now at about 2200 packages if my count is correct.  We're working on a
system to make it work well considering the fact that it will probably
require at least 2 if not 3 full CDs for the distribution on i386, plus 2
CDs for source, plus one or 2 CDs each for the m68k, Sparc, Alpha, and
perhaps PowerPC distributions.  The system will be able to install packages
intelligently with a minimum of CD switching, and will know which CD your
packages are on when you ask for them.  We're anxiously awaiting DVD
popularity :-)

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |