Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Windows NT 4.0 and Telnet

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Windows NT 4.0 and Telnet
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:33:17 -0600

> jdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> Hi all, I am the Sys admin for Internet Development Services and all
> our stuff is NT 4.0
> My boss wants a telnet account (I would like one too) and I was
> wondering if there was anyone out there who  knew of some kind of
> emulator I might use on one of the servers that the boss could telnet
> to to use the tools he wants to?  He wants to be on the Internet, but
> not part of the LAN.  I hope someone out there catches my drift,
> because I am having a hard time explaining it.

Are you trying to telnet to an NT box or from an NT box?

If you are working "from" NT, you can telnet, rlogin, or rsh (I forget
exactly which one) to a Unix host of choice, given the user name and
password and a proper network connection...

If you are working say from Linux to NT... Don't know if NT supports
telnet out of the box or not, but there should be some service you could
run to do it...  Not haveing a NT box to bang on, sorta limits what I
can tell you though...

Gosh.. I thought that NT *was* Unix according to Microsoft...  Guess
they did not tell the truth on that...

-= Bob =-