Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] shell script

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] shell script
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:25:01 -0600

> oh, and i just want a script that i manually run...  i don't really care
> about having some process running in the background checking all the time...
> sometimes, it goes down for 2 secs, but is back up, and i don't want it to
> send an e-mail then (although i should, so they get this LAN working
> right!)...  just a manually run script would be fine with me...  tho', what
> do you think would be better?

Skip the looping part then and add a second, ok we failed once so wait
and try it again, test.

However you want it to work...

Personally, if I was a sys admin type (and I sorta am), I'd want the
script to advise me when the link status changes, and tell me every 10
min or so while it's down incase I missed the last message...

-= bob =-