Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
[aclug-L] Open Source Trojan Hourse Possibility

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Open Source Trojan Hourse Possibility
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:22:08 -0600 (EST)

an article on Linux Weekly News [1] discussed the possibity of one day a
Trojan Horse program inside of an open source program.

Among other tips the other mentrions how LUG can help :
have a knowledgable person instruct members in public-key cryptography and
run a
public key cross-signing session regularly at their meetings. Every Linux
or Open Source convention, where developers are likely to get together,
should host
some form of public-key certification, and should announce that well in
advance so that developers bring the proper materials to the show.
Conventions
should also run tutorials on how to use GNU Privacy Guard and how to
properly handle and sign cryptographic keys. Through key-signings,
developers can
join the web of trust, which is a method of identifying people whom you
haven't met by checking their public keys for cryptographic signatures
made by people
you have met. Then, we'll have a way to identify our developers.

as John is a debian developler I think he'd know a lot about this.

another idea is having someone else give a presentation. I'm sure John
would enjoy a break :)

Anyone want to give a tutorial or presentation on something (Jeff Schaller
has expressed interest in giving a procmail presentation)? Or tell how you've
set up a
unique system with linux?

Clint

[1] http://lwn.net/1998/1119/Trojan.html