Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
[aclug-L] Re: Definitive pi

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Definitive pi
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:00:49 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Karl Juhnke wrote:

> Of course the difinitive value of pi is not known, but I am curious if
> there is a stored system value of pi, and if so, to how many digits it is
> accurate.

True that we'll never, by definition, know the complete value of pi, but:
http://www.isr.umd.edu/~jasonp/pipage.html
and:
http://www.jjj.de/hfloat/hfloatpage.html
should get you as far as you'd ever conceivably want to know :)

-jeff
-----
The primary purpose of the Data statement is to give names to constants;
instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the
variable Pi can be given that value with a Data statement and used instead
of the longer form of the constant.  This also simplifies modifying the
program, should the value of pi change. -Fortran manual for Xerox Computers