Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Microsoft's plans to kill Linux

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Microsoft's plans to kill Linux
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:17:57 -0600

Karl Juhnke wrote:

> I think Linux fans should stop spraining their shoulders patting
> themselves on the back, and learn from two things which Microsoft does
> right.  1. Make stuff easy to use for average schmoes, and 2. Stay
> paranoid.

The list of problems with linux in the "ease of use" department is
growing shorter and shorter, while M$'s preceived "ease of use" is not
as good as some folks may think.

Most people who try but give up trying to use linux, give up very eairly
in the install process.  Say they cannot get X up and running, or making
a PPP connection is difficult.  Some get confused when trying to
partition their hard drives...  Ease of use IS an issue, but have you
considered the difficulties of installing say Windows 95 from scratch?
It's not as easy as M$ would want you to beleive. (Trust me, I've done
it.)  Most users don't see this process because their software comes
"pre installed" when they buy the box so they don't have to deal with
it...much... (Just don't try to upgrade your hardware cause that can
throw things way off...)

What the Linux communiity can do, is make it easy to get Linux installed
and configured.  Red Hat, Caldera (and others) are working on ways to do
that and we have come a LONG way from the days of ftp'n everything a
little at a time, and then building a kernel and all the other stuff you
need for a basic system, and trying to install it... Somehow...  But the
best thing we can do is what ACLUG does... All those "we will install
Linux for free" sessions..

Next, we can encourage hardware vendors to sell hardware that is
pre-configured with Linux.

Last, we can encourage the development of software for desk top use...
M$ Strangle hold is not because they have a better mousetrap, but that
they have the applications people think they need and they only run on
the M$ OS.  It's a two edged knife... Your OS choice drives your
Software Choice which drives your OS Choice.  This cycle is hard to
break...

In the coorprate world, you can now, easily, replace the expensive NT
Server Software with very functional, easily mannaged set of Linux
applications that are free... We need to push that, and HARD.  Should we
manage to capture a good percentage of the server market, we will be
able to influence M$ decisions... They won't be able to alter their
protocols to make Linux not work, for fear of loosing the desk tops
connected to linux servers, and all the while, Linux will make steady
inroads into the coorporate desk top.. (After all linux is what runs on
our server now...)  We can use the same knife agnist M$ that they now
use agnist others.

It may take time, but Linux can do it...  After all, time is on our side
as long as we don't let M$ dictate private standards..  That would kill
the function of Linux as servers for M$ boxes. (But I don't think the
Fed would let them if we complained about it.)

-= bob =-