Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] QT goes FREE

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] QT goes FREE
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:48:52 -0600

OK.  I'm sure I'm going to get a reputation as "professional cold water
thrower", but...

I first must say that I have not read the QPL in detail.  Assuming for the
moment that it is sufficient to meat the DFSG (Debian Free Software
Guidelines, also adopted by Eric S. Raymond as the Open Source guidelines),
there is *still* a problem.

The problem is that KDE incorportates GPL'd code from other authors into its
program.  Normally this is fine; if all of your program is GPL, you can do
that with no problem.  BUT -- Even with QPL, this is a problem.  The problem
is that KDE *must* get permission from these authors to have their code
included in *anything* that is not GPL.  This is the main reason Debian
refused to carry it before, and I suspect will still be a sticking point
now.  The only thing that will resolve it is if Troll Tech GPL's Qt or if
there is a replacement for Qt that is GPL'd.

John

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |