Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Scandisk

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Scandisk
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:17:09 -0600

To scan for hard disk problems, you can use e2fsck.  However, there really
isn't much need, since Linux automatically scans your filesystems on a
regular basis anyway, and corruption is almost never seen.

If you want to check the physical media, use the badblocks program.

As far as defragmentation goes, Linux does a good job of automatically
preventing most fragmentation, and when it does occur, it ususally is not a
big performance hit like it is with other filesystems, so don't worry about
it.  I've been running computers for years without any defragmentation
necessary.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |