Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Scandisk

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Scandisk
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:33:24 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Leon Do wrote:

> Does anyone know which tools that I can use to scan my hard drive
> problem and defragmentation?

I know fsck gives you an idea of fragmentation, but I don't know about
scanning for bad blocks. I'd be interested in this, as one of my
drives is having problems. Is there a program that can run on a
partition/drive (unmounted of course) that will scan & flag bad
sectors?  BTW, there is a 'defrag' program that I found, but it's
chock full of "warning: this might do really bad things, use at your
own risk" kinds of things.  It actually does go through and do like
that one Windows program where it rearranges the files. I haven't used
it (haven't needed to).

-jeff
-----
Jeff Schaller, UNIX System Administrator, Learjet Inc.
Phone: 316 946-7255, Fax: 316 946-2809
The above thoughts are mine and are not representative of Learjet.
 10:33am up 5 days, 23:33, 10 users, load average: 0.26, 0.19, 0.13