Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
RE: [aclug-L] Microsoft's plans to kill Linux

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] Microsoft's plans to kill Linux
From: "Wilburn, E.J." <WilburnE@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:08:48 -0600

I believe that our goal should not be to convince the world that Linux is
easy to learn and easy to use.  The majority of computer users will stop
listening as soon as the hear the word 'learn'.  To them 'learn' = effort =
less time to watch football and drink beer.  I believe it's possible to
develope a front end for Linux that's just as easy to use (if not easier) as
Win9x.  Take Solaris CDE for example.  It's not anywhere near my stated goal
but it's taken large steps by simply replacing the text login with graphical
prompts and (somewhat) built in help.  For some reason most users are afraid
of anything they have to read and think about.  For example:  The following
prompt pops up on a user's desktop "Anti-virus license has expired." and
presents an OK button.  A good number of the users who see this message (in
a work environment) will panic and call for help without bothering to see
what the OK button will do (even though that's their only choice).  10-20
years from now when at least half the people using computers grew up using
them we won't have to design the interface to hold the user's hand but for
now we don't really have that luxury if we want our system to be accepted by
the masses.

-E.J. Wilburn
WilburnE@xxxxxxxxxxx