Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 1998:
RE: [aclug-L] Microsoft's plans to kill Linux

To: "'aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [aclug-L] Microsoft's plans to kill Linux
From: "Wilburn, E.J." <WilburnE@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:59:54 -0600

There are several efforts underway to make Linux a viable end user desktop.
Take a look at http://www.gnome.org and KDE (don't have the link handy).
GNOME is looking very very good right now and it'll only get better.  WINE
(Win16/32 emulator) is also improving rather rapidly.  Check out
http://www.winehq.com for a list of supported applications.  Linux is a LONG
way from being a corporate or home-user desktop for the mainstream but steps
are being made.  The more attention/press Linux gets the greater the
possibility of Linux achieving Win9x status among normal users.  The great
thing about Open Source projects is the ability for anyone to say "This
definately won't work because <insert problem here>." and then turn around
and fix it.  It's just a matter of time before a completely Plug & Play (ala
Win9x) version of Linux is available to the public.  Hopefully in under
three years from now something like this will exist, quite possibly due to
corporations assigning paid resources to the development of Linux in an
effort to debunk the MS monopoly.  (Look at Corel's example of commiting
developers to working on WINE).

-E.J. Wilburn
WilburnE@xxxxxxxxxxx