Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Building Linux with limited disk space

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Building Linux with limited disk space
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:18:46 -0600

Greg House wrote:

> Anyone got any thoughts on what's essential to include and what can be
> safely ignored to save some space?  This is for a new Linux user, so I want
> it to be as feature-rich as possible (ie, don't want to leave off X86Free).

Slackware and Red Hat can be installed with "minum required" features
which is basicly a bare kernel and command line stuff.. (Although Red
Hat is a bit bigger than slackware).  Red Hat 5.1 is about 40 Meg in
this configuration.

When you add X to Red Hat you use about 100 Meg.  (With no applications
to speak of though...) You can install *everything* for about 200 Meg
(excluding sources).

So... For a basic system with X figure on about 100 Meg.  Just let the
installer choose the minimum required setup with X and you should be
fine.

After that, it's up to you.  What do you want the system to do?
Internet? (Add netscape communicator and about 10 Meg),  Office
computing? (Add Star Office and about 20 Meg?).

Is your friend a programmer? (Add various languages and associated
space..)

You get the picture.

-= Bob =-