Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Building Linux with limited disk space

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Building Linux with limited disk space
From: phrostie <phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:46:39 -0500

i've got a 40 meg IDE and a 20 meg hard card(showing my age).  my wife will give them away.

still think we should have some sort of "swap meet"

Greg House wrote:

I'm putting together a LInux system for a friend and all he had was a 540MB
hard drive, which has to be split to dual-boot DOS/Win3.1.  Given how much
space his DOS partition was using, I split the disk giving 200MB to DOS, 300
to Linux (/) and 16MB to Linux swap.

I'm using Red Hat, since I thought it might be easier for him if he decides
to reinstall or something.  Anyway, I'm trying to get a reasonably rich
setup with X11 into 300MB and I'm having a little trouble.  My first couple
of attempts ran out of space 'cause I wasn't looking carefully at what I was
installing.  The latest got a reasonably complete system on there, but it
only left 5MB user space and it didn't include anything that wasn't on the
Red Hat 5.1 distribution.  I was hoping to get a package like Star Office on
there too, but perhaps that's too much to ask.

Anyone got an old IDE drive or two they'd like to sell really cheap?

Thanks,
Greg
(ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

---
This is the Air Capitol Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you
aclug-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  If you want to post to the list, send your

phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh I've slipped the surly bonds of dos
and danced the skies on LINUX silvered wings.