Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
[aclug-L] Odd problem

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Odd problem
From: Wayne White <wwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 00:20:01 -0600

Ok, I got the routing thing straightened out. Thanks Steven.
In playing around with it I find I still have problems resolving
names.

Most odd situation first. If pppd is invoked in a shell terminal
names (internet not LAN names) are resolved fine. If I then start
Xwindows the machine can no longer resolve names. It will still
ping, etc. using IP numbers, but not names. Why would that be?
If I start X and then log on with pppd names are resolved fine.
Why does it matter if a term or an Xwindow runs pppd once you're
running X?

I still can't resolve the names of the other machines on my LAN.
I believe that /etc/hosts is set up correctly. I wonder about
the /etc/resolv.conf file though. Should there be a line included
that reads

        domain  mydomainname

and then the IP numbers of SW's name servers? If so should the
`.' preceeding the mydomainname be included? I have included this
line, sans `.' Would that help?

Thanks one and all.

Wayne