Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] SCSI card

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] SCSI card
From: "spiff" <spiff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 18:47:06 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian J. Chapman <bchapman@xxxxxx>
To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, October 23, 1998 3:39 PM

>As for CDRs, i have a Phillips CDD2600 (2x6) which I've had pretty good
>luck with and seems to be supported by just about everything. I picked it
>up for $450 from BestBuy almost a year ago. I think its been superceded by
>newer, more inexpensive CDRW models though. The only bad thing i can say
>about it is that the ROM is not upgradable.

The Yamaha 4260 is a 6 x read 4 x write and 2 x rewrite.  Has a 2 Mb buffer
instead of the typical 512 or 1 Mb.  Everything I have heard about the
yamaha is that it is the one to go for to avoid "coasters" and most of who I
have heard this from are users that are burning in large runs or using it
almost daily.  I found it at Clifford Technologies on the web
 https://www.computer123.com/  )  for $285  Dirt Cheap has the same thing
for somewhere around $350  Clifford is the cheapest I have seen, and since I
want it for Linux I am not bothered by the fact that it is a "white box"
deal.

News flash:  Yamaha now has out a 16 x read 4 x write and 4 x rewrite
supposed to ship Oct '98 however I have yet to find prices on these CDR/Ws.
When I first started looking at the Yamaha 4260 it was $799 so I think a buy
now couldn't hurt too terrible much.

Back to subject: So basically what I am seeing is the Adaptech might be the
best card to go with... While I don't mind cheap, I don't want to end up
with a lesser card if a few $$ will get me something that will end up in the
long run more satisfying.