Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] SCSI card

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] SCSI card
From: "Brian J. Chapman" <bchapman@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:30:48 -0500

At 01:02 PM 10/23/98 -0500, spiff wrote:
> I am curious about recommendations on SCSI cards, looking at getting a
> yamaha 4260 internal CDR/W that is SCSI 2
>
> would like info on a good card and perhaps why you recommend it.
>
> thanks in advance
> Seth aka Spiff

The Mylex (www.mylex.com) cards are very well supported, infact they even
have links to the linux driver off of their homepage. Mylex acknowledges
and supports linux, this is almost reason enough alone to buy their cards.
;-)

Their FlashPointLT controller runs either $74 or $89 (www.insight.com)
depending on wether you get just the board or the kit (incl. ribbon cables
etc.).

I'll probably be picking one up soon so i can run my UMAX scanner with
GIMP.  :0)

As for CDRs, i have a Phillips CDD2600 (2x6) which I've had pretty good
luck with and seems to be supported by just about everything. I picked it
up for $450 from BestBuy almost a year ago. I think its been superceded by
newer, more inexpensive CDRW models though. The only bad thing i can say
about it is that the ROM is not upgradable.

 Brian James Chapman | bchapman@xxxxxxxxx | www.feist.com/~bchapman