Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] RedHat RPM install usage Question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] RedHat RPM install usage Question
From: Bob Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:57:05 -0500

Brian J. Chapman wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I had a question about the Redhat Package Manager. Ok, to install a new
> package you use `rpm -i filename.rpm' and to update an existing package
> you use `rpm -U filename.rpm'.
>
> My question is:  I think i accidental installed a few new packages with
> the -U option instead of the -i. Does anyone know if this is okay? Will it
> mess up my local RPM database or something?
>

>From the RPM man page....
       This  installs  a new package.  The general form of an rpm
       upgrade command is

            rpm -U [install-options] <package_file>+

       This upgrades or installs the package currently  installed
       to  the  version  in  the  new  RPM.   This is the same as
       install, except all  other  version  of  the  package  are
       removed from the system.

So, to answer your question... No, what you did is just fine.

-= bob =-