Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
[aclug-L] RedHat RPM install usage Question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] RedHat RPM install usage Question
From: "Brian J. Chapman" <bchapman@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 00:25:35 +0000

Hey all,

I had a question about the Redhat Package Manager. Ok, to install a new
package you use `rpm -i filename.rpm' and to update an existing package
you use `rpm -U filename.rpm'.

My question is:  I think i accidental installed a few new packages with
the -U option instead of the -i. Does anyone know if this is okay? Will it
mess up my local RPM database or something?

Because if it's alright and being the lazy person that i am ;-) i was
going to mirror a few "updates" directories and just run a `rpm -U *rpm'
and update everything. And i think there might be a few packages that
aren't installed (but it's okay, since i want to install them anyway; ie:
the gnome packages).

Anyway, the new RPM packages that got installed with the -U option seem to
be working correctly as far as i can tell (??).

thanks for any input!

 Brian James Chapman | bchapman@xxxxxxxxx | www.feist.com/~bchapman