Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] two questions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] two questions
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Oct 1998 07:51:13 -0500

I'm not sure about the PCI card.  I can try and get some info on that.

Seth Turner <spiff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> second question: is it possible via linux to do the following:
>
>               set up a firewall to enable one internet account to serve a
>               network of computers internet access, as well as allow for
>               multiple email addresses?  In otherwords, something like
>               (forgive the reference) microsoft back office.

Yes, this is called IP Masquerading or Network Address Translation
(NAT).  We talked about it at our Monday meeting actually :-)

There is an IP-Masquerade mini-HOWTO that is quite helpful and would
be a good starting point.

As for mail, if you want multiple accounts to be visible to the
outside, you'd need a special arrangement with your ISP.  I know that
SouthWind offers UUCP, Virtual domain e-mail (all e-mail to a
particular domain goes to a single POP box on the server), and SMTP
store-and-forward.  UUCP is particularly well-suited for Linux, and is
cheap.  The downside is that these solutions generally require you
register a top-level domain with the InterNIC, which is $70 for the
first two years.  ($35/yr)

>               I do not know all of the details of back office, however I do
>               know that it would in theory allow multiple email acounts on a
>               network.

If all you want is to be able to send e-mail between internal
accounts, that's easy and we can discuss that setup in just a few
messages here.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |