Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Security Question: How safe is it?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Security Question: How safe is it?
From: Jeremy Johnstone <jsjohnst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:08:09 -0500 (CDT)

Kinda weird to reply to my own reply but had one last thought I forgot to
mention:

This issue / scenario just happens to be why I refuse to ever by a cable
modem if they become available any time this or next millenium. On cable
modems everyone in your neighborhood (maybe larger) is on the same
"network segment" and any can snoop anyone else's packets with the right
knowledge or software. Also, everyone shares the same bandwidth so if
everyone in you neighborhood jumps on the bandwagon and gets a cable modem
then there goes the bandwidth. (In some test markets with high usage the
segments have gotten so bogged down that people where reporting
throughputs of less than 1k during peak usage, might as well go back to
a 14.4 if your gonna get that crappy of speeds, IMHO)

Jeremy