Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] kinda stupid question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] kinda stupid question
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Sep 1998 18:26:35 -0500

An audio CD cannot be mounted because it does not contain a
filesystem.

However, data may be read off of it.

There exist numerous audio CD players that basically put the CD drive
into audio CD mode and it sends analog data directly out (no digital
data to burden the CPU with.)

There also exist several programs which can read digital audio from
the CD.  The best one is cdparanoia, which goes to great lengths to
get a very high-quality copy.  Others include cdda2wav, which produces
a wav file output, and another one whose name I forget that produces
raw CDR-format audio output.

Be forwarned that a single CD holds approximately 700 megabytes of
audio data on it.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |