Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] IRC

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] IRC
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 00:34:28 -0500 (CDT)

On 17 Sep 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I have not been a big fan of chat/IRC. I have logged into several
> > servers and played around with it a bit, but the content of the
> > discussions seemed to be mostly mindless drivel.
>
> Quite understandable, and I share the opinion about EFNet.  There are
> a lot of childish attempts to gain control over what amounts to
> /dev/null :-)
>
> > I would like to know what suggestions people might have to find good
> > discussions on Linux and other computer or technical matter. I believe
> > that I have heard about something.linpeople.something...
>
> Yes, irc.us.linpeople.org -- also known as irc.us.debian.org.
>
> Channels to try:
>
> #linpeople
> #debian
> #aclug                (Guess the topic of this one!)
> #freeciv      (Quite a fun game, and we often can round up several
>                people from around here to play at freeciv.complete.org)

go ahead and do a list ther earen't that many channels, (like 20 or so
maybe)

> I often can be found as CosmicRay in #debian.
>
> You'll find LinPeople far better than EFNet.  The discussion is almost
> always friendly and polite.  There are no "op wars" there.  It's a
> friendly group of Linux enthusiasts.  The heritage of the network goes
> way back to EFNet and Undernet, but they left those networks because
> of all the problems with them and formed their own.
>
> > Also, when I did play around with IRC I was still mostly in a Win95
> > environment. I would like suggestions for good IRC clients under
> > Linux, both comand line and GUI oriented.
>
> Text-based: ircII  (command name is "irc nickname server" to start")
> X11: zircon

I prefer bitchx text and circus tcl based, maybe ther aRE SOME GTK BASED
IRC CLIENTS AROUND OR GNOME or kde compatible ones

> Both of these are on the Debian CDs.
>
> Incidentally, there are often some devout ACLUG people hanging around
> #aclug during the day, but I have yet to find many other area people
> hanging around IRC in the evening when I can get on.  Hmmph. :-)

well cause we are all one during work, after work we have better things to
do :)

| The Cheez-Czar  http://www.cs.twsu.edu/~cabrubak     |