Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] IRC

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] IRC
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Sep 1998 22:16:46 -0500

Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have not been a big fan of chat/IRC. I have logged into several
> servers and played around with it a bit, but the content of the
> discussions seemed to be mostly mindless drivel.

Quite understandable, and I share the opinion about EFNet.  There are
a lot of childish attempts to gain control over what amounts to
/dev/null :-)

> I would like to know what suggestions people might have to find good
> discussions on Linux and other computer or technical matter. I believe
> that I have heard about something.linpeople.something...

Yes, irc.us.linpeople.org -- also known as irc.us.debian.org.

Channels to try:

#linpeople
#debian
#aclug          (Guess the topic of this one!)
#freeciv        (Quite a fun game, and we often can round up several
                 people from around here to play at freeciv.complete.org)

I often can be found as CosmicRay in #debian.

You'll find LinPeople far better than EFNet.  The discussion is almost
always friendly and polite.  There are no "op wars" there.  It's a
friendly group of Linux enthusiasts.  The heritage of the network goes
way back to EFNet and Undernet, but they left those networks because
of all the problems with them and formed their own.

> Also, when I did play around with IRC I was still mostly in a Win95
> environment. I would like suggestions for good IRC clients under
> Linux, both comand line and GUI oriented.

Text-based: ircII  (command name is "irc nickname server" to start")
X11: zircon

Both of these are on the Debian CDs.

Incidentally, there are often some devout ACLUG people hanging around
#aclug during the day, but I have yet to find many other area people
hanging around IRC in the evening when I can get on.  Hmmph. :-)

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |