Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] My email.

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] My email.
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Sep 1998 22:48:57 -0500

Jeremy S Johnstone <jsjohnst@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I had a temporary problme with an improper setup of procmail <sheepishly
> hides>. Sorry anyone who sent me email. Can anyone who either sent a post

I noticed when I got 20 bounces from you :-)

Also, while I'm writing anyway, I had sent you a private mail about
this but it may be best to write to the whole list.  The complete.org
mailing list server is set to reject messages larger than 40k.  This
is because some people have trouble getting messages that large, and
it is not polite to send people large messages when they don't ask for
them first.  (Note that normal discussion messages rarely exceed 5k).
The only time when this really is a problem is when there are attached
files.  Small attachments will go through (but are discouraged).
Large attachments will not.

There are a couple possible solutions:

1) Include a URL in your message.  If you are careful, and put the
http:// in front of it (as your browser shows in its URL area), people
reading the Web archives can just click on it to go there.

2) If we can legally do so (copyright), I can put ACLUG-related
material up in the "contrib" area of the ACLUG website so that
everyone can access it there.

> or sent me email directly since about 1:45pm today please either resend to
> me, or atleast brief me on what i missed.

Take a look at

then scroll down to the bottom.  That particular URL give you messages
by date.  http://www.complete.org/mailinglists/archives/ also lets you
get messages by thread (subject), etc.

You can also request a text-based archive (conveniently in standard
Unix mbox format that you can dump right into your inbox or a separate
folder) of all posts this month.  To do this, write to
majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxx, and in the body of your message, type:

GET aclug-L aclug-l.9809

Note that this is a lower-case ell in aclug-l.9809, not a numeral 1.
Also be warned that archive file is nearly 600K in size as of this
moment, so do not ask for it unless your mail software will not barf
:-)  (cs.twsu.edu should be fine if you're using Pine)

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |