Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] question

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] question
From: alx@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:18:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Wesley Simon wrote:

> Does anyone know the syntax for a fancy tr command that I can put into a
> makefile so that it will strip the carriage return (^M) off each .c and
> ..h file in a directory?  I used to have such a makefile, but I seem to
> have lost it during my last install.  If not, does anyone know a simple
> way of doing it?  I have about 30 files in a single directory.  I did

There is a program called dos2unix that handles this.  I'm not sure if it
comes with any of the distributions but you can find it on just about any
major ftp site.

> I'm not aware of anyone's position on cracks, hacks and warez, but I
> believe that in order to mature, the group should adopt some
> zero-tolerance attitudes of such behavior.  I used to think it was cool,

My position, personally, is that all software should be free for
educational purposes.  I'm not into the warez scene anymore but when I was
a kid in high school, it was the only way I had to get software.  As a
result, I had skills right out of high school that most people don't get
without spending thousands of dollars on training.  It was because of the
warez bbses that I knew more about the computer classes than the teachers
did in high school.  At that time books and warez were my most valuable
source of education.

The only thing this doesn't apply to, for me anyway, is games which are
purely for entertainment value only.