Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Apps going off the screen?

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: straw_jack@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Apps going off the screen?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Aug 1998 10:19:08 -0500

"Jack Straw" <straw_jack@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> my windows/apps go off my screen and then I can't see all of them!  On
> some programs I cant even close them do to this problem.  I went to
> /etc/X11/XF86Config and added the lines ViewPort 0 0    and Virtual 800
> 600    for some more screen area but I don't seem to be able to scroll
> out of my 640x480 screen???  If any one has any suggestions I would be
> appreciative!

The ViewPort probably won't help much in this case, but I need a bit
more info before we can make a good diagnosis:

1. What physical resolution are you running at?
   If it's 640x480, a virtual 800x600 can help.  If it's 800x600, you
   would want a larger virtual screen.

2. How much video RAM do you have?
   Virtual screens require extra video RAM.  If you don't have enough,
   X won't be able to use virtual areas.

3. What color depth are you running at?
   This works with the VRAM issue -- if you are using too many colors,
   you may not have enough RAM for a virtual area.

4. What kind of video card do you have?

5. What resolution is your monitor capable of?

6. Do you get any interesting messages on the console that startx is
   invoked from?

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |