Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] A BIG THANX!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] A BIG THANX!
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Aug 1998 22:24:47 -0500

"Jesse Kaufman" <kaufmjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> hey, i wanted to thank all of you guys that helped out at the linux
> installation last nite... i really appreciate it, and i'm looking forward to
> attending more of the newbie sessions, so i can some day help others the way
> you have helped me!

Great!  We are always glad to help out.  Let's aim for world (or, at
least statewide) domination by this time next year :-)

> also, i wanted to ask anyone who gets this is you have or have seen linux
> "drivers" for either the Ensoniq AudioPCI PnP card, or the Epson Stylus COLOR
> 400 (w/ 720x720 dpi color).

OK, the Ensoniq is indeed supported by the kernel.  In kernel 2.0.35,
we've got Ensoniq SoundScape support.  I would suspect and hope that
this is the chipset used in your card.  You may end up needing to use
kernel 2.1 if the driver isn't in 2.0, although it may be debatable
whether or not this is a good choice for you.  Does you card by chance
have SoundBlaster emulation?

Regarding the printer:

GhostScript-aladdin has a "stcolor" and "st800" driver.  One of those
may well be what you are looking for.

It produces output at 360 DPI by default, but can do better.  The
command line is:

gs -sDEVICE=stcolor -r720x720 stcolor.ps  inputfile.ps

Debian has a lot of documentation in
/usr/doc/gs-aladdin/devices.txt.gz.  I forget if you are running
Debian or RedHat.  If you've got Debian, I can help you set everything
up; however, I unfortunately don't know enough about the RedHat print
system to be of much use; you may have to check on a RedHat list or
see if somebody else here may be able to assist you.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |