Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] ghostscrpt and lpd

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] ghostscrpt and lpd
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Aug 1998 22:55:56 -0500

lpd is the print spooling system.  It is responsible for scheduling
print jobs, filtering them if necessary, ordering them, and sending
them off to the printer or network as necessary.

Ghostscript is a program to view or convert PostScript or PDF files to
different formats.  PostScript is the standard format under Unix for
printing data that is more complex than ASCII text.  (This is a much
more powerful way to do it than in Windows, BTW).  Some printers have
hardware support for PostScript; for those, Ghostscript does not enter
the picture and lpd passes the information directly to the printer.

In the early days, all printers generally used for this sort of thing
supported PostScript.  These days, people want to print graphics on
dot-matrix, ink jet, and cheaper laser printers (and others).  Most of
these don't have PostScript support (excepting some HP lasers).  This
is where Ghostscript comes in.

In true Linux fashion, any program that is interactive can generally
be automated.  If you are printing Postscript files to a non-PS
printer, the system calls Ghostscript to interpret the PS files and
convert them to a form that your printer is capable of understanding.

John

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |