Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] Problem with video

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: michaeld@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Problem with video
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Apr 1998 12:09:39 -0500

Michael,

Michael Day <michaeld@xxxxxxx> writes:

> I am having a problem getting linux to recognize the video memory on my
> puter.  The problem is I have a Matsonic TX ProII motherboard.  The
> board features an on board 64 bit video adapter. this adapter uses
> system memory resources which you can set for 1 to 4 mb.  I am running
> 64mb of sdram (DIMM) in bank 0.  It has no problem seeing system memory
> just video memory.  It also has an on board sound card (a Sound Pro)

This is a configuration I have never heard of before -- using system
memory as the video RAM.  It seems like it could be a bit problematic
to me.

What kind of video card is it?  The chipset information will be helpful
as well.  Often, cards made by one company use a chipset made by
someone else.  This chipset information is what is needed to set up
Linux.  X may be able to detect the chipset information if you run
the SuperProbe command as root.

> Whe I try to go into XWindows it goes in ok with a SVGA server but my
> resolution is at extremely large proportions, (something like 320x216)
> or whatever the equivalent.  Any ideas???  Just in case you need to know

Probably is is only seeing standard VGA and not recognizing your card.

Another thing you can try is the latest version of XFree86 -- 3.3.2.
You can find details of the new version at http://www.xfree86.org.  My
suspicion, anyway, would be that upgrading to the newer X may fix the
problem.

> I have a Cyrix 686L-200 mhz processor, 24 spd cdrom, running slackware
> in a native Linux partition (dual booted with Windows 95)

You MAY be able to glean some useful information about your card out
of Win95 -- Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display ->
Settings.  Play around with the video driver options.

Another possibility is that your card just plain isn't supported under
Linux.  It seems like it does have a bit of a nonstandard
architecture, and if the manufacturer doesn't release the specs, it
may not be supported at all.

You might also call the manufacturers of one of the various commercial
X systems for Linux -- Metro-X, AccelX, etc.  One of them may have
support even if the latest XFree86 doesn't.

Hope this is of some assistance....

John

--
John Goerzen             | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming       | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for