Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: July 1998:
ACLUG: Perl; Monday, August 10

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG: Perl; Monday, August 10
From: John Goerzen (ACLUG) <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Jul 1998 14:42:25 -0500

         --== Air Capital Linux Users Group of Wichita, KS ==--
                          http://www.aclug.org/

Monday, August 10, 1998: Linux Perls              http://www.aclug.org/events/
Contact: John Goerzen <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>        316-978-5616
Location: 7:00/7:30 PM in Jabara Hall at Wichita State (details below)
          This event is free and open to the public.  Please forward this
          message to anyone you feel may be interested in attending.

Linux Perls
-----------

In the past few months, we've demonstrated things like the GIMP photo
editor, networking, programming basics, GUI design, and much more.
All of these are great topics.  Some of these things can be done on
Windows as well.

But Linux has a great advantage -- Perl.  Perl is the "glue" that can
tie all these things together.  Perl can be used to automate frequent
tasks, write interactive Web sites, setting up simple or complex
programs, flashy graphical interfaces, and much more.  You need not
have programming experience to benefit from our Perl discussion.

We'll discuss some of the many situations in which Perl is beneficial,
the basics of the Perl language, and present examples of powerful
things you can do with Perl.

New meeting format
------------------

Beginning on our August 10th (Perl) meeting, we'll have a new format.
One issue that has been somewhat troublesome is making presentations
interesting and useful for people with a wide range of Linux
experiences.  We want our meetings to be useful for as many people as
possible, so our plan is this: For those of you that are starting out
with Linux, or just interested in what Linux can do, please feel free
to join us at 7:00 PM on each meeting date (every other Monday).
We'll go over some Linux basics, have some Q&A, or give a bit of
preparatory explanation before the evening's presentation -- whatever
you would like.

Our regular presentation will begin at 7:30 as it always has.  Off
course, if you can make it at 7, you're encouraged to stay for the
whole program.  You are welcome to arrive at either 7 or 7:30.

Location
--------

We will hold the this event in the Computer Science Department in
Jabara Hall on the main east campus of Wichita State University.
ACLUG has assembled some driving instructions on the Web at
http://www.aclug.org/maps/.  We will be located on the second floor of
Jabara Hall.  An exact room number is not known at this time; however,
signs will be posted that day.  You'll be able to find a sign on the
wall in front of the 2nd floor elevator when you arrive.

For more information

Future ACLUG/Linux events
-------------------------

Suggestions are welcome.  Current suggestions I have on my list
include security, encryption, and databases.  Please send your
suggestions to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

We are planning to host a Free Linux Installation event on Monday,
August 24, 1998.  You will be able to bring your computer in and ACLUG
will install or upgrade Linux on it for you -- for FREE.

Details will be coming shortly.

About the Air Capital Linux Users Group
---------------------------------------

ACLUG was created in early 1998 as a group to help people discover
better ways to take advantage of modern computing through the use of
Linux.  All ACLUG events are free; we have hosted two free Linux
installation events, during which Linux was installed on dozens of
computers for no charge.  We would like to show the benefits of Unix
operating systems such as Linux to as many people as possible.  ACLUG
members range from people just starting out with computers and Linux
to those that have written parts of the Linux system or are doing
computer research under the Linux platform.

About Linux
-----------
Linux is a modern, fully 32- and 64-bit operating system that runs on
a wide variety of hardware.  Its most popular use is on PC-style
hardware, where Linux can completely replace Windows 95, Windows 98,
or NT.  Linux sports astounding reliability, power, flexibility,
scalibility, and networking.  Linux is the most popular OS for
Internet servers, beating NT.  Linux also works on less-expensive
computers than NT.

Linux is developed by a worldwide team of programmers: individuals,
companies, and universities using the Internet.  All source code is
available, allowing peer review -- which is important for an operating
system.

ACLUG would like to show you the benefits of Linux for home and
business use.  Feel free to attend one of our meetings or ask
questions about Linux at aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |