Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: announce: May 1998:
ACLUG news

To: aclug-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ACLUG news
From: John Goerzen ACLUG <aclug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 May 1998 10:06:34 -0500

Hello everyone,

I've got several things to announce in here.

First, at our last meeting, we decided to meet biweekly instead of
monthly.  Therefore, the next ACLUG meeting is tentatively scheduled
for Thursday, June 4 at 7:30 PM.  I will check on reserving the
building next week.  I have not yet done any planning for what sort of
event to schedule.  I would like to get your comments and plan
something that everybody is interested in.  StarOffice seemed to be
something that people were interested in last time; I can bring it
along again.  Perhaps the X setup or networking with Linux might be a
good topic.

On to other news.  I promised that I'd put up brief kernel compilation
instructions on the ACLUG website, but I unfortunately have been
swamped with other things and haven't had a chance.  I'll include
brief instructions at the end of this message, and you'll be able to
find a copy under the ACLUG mailing list archive area on the website.
I'll eventually get something more formal.

A few follow-ups to last Thursday's meeting:

 * Some URLs to check out: http://www.stardivision.com for StarOffice,
   http://www.gimp.org for The GIMP, http://www.redhat.com for RedHat,
   http://www.debian.org for Debian.

 * phrostie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx reports that one can get a CD of the
   noncommercial version of StarOffice for about $20 at
   http://www.caldera.com/ivp/onlinecatalog/staroffice.html.  This, I
   believe, is the same thing that is on the FTP site, but it will
   save you a 45 meg download!

 * Debian 2.0 has a package called wvdial that will set up PPP easily.
   KDE has a tool called kppp that is supposed to do this as well, but
   it doesn't seem to work.  RedHat and Caldera have a tool called
   netcfg that does this.  You may want to subscribe to ACLUG-L for
   details.

Now then, brief kernel compilation instructions:

1. Fetch the latest Linux kernel from
   ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.0.
2. cd /usr/src
3. tar -zxvf /path/to/linux-2.0.33.tar.gz
4. cd linux
5. make menuconfig and answer the prompts
6. make dep; make clean
7. make zlilo
8. make modules
9. make modules_install
10. reboot

For more details, see the Kernel compilation HOWTO (available in
/usr/doc/HOWTO or http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/) or wait for me to put
the instruction on the ACLUG website :-)

Regards,
John Goerzen

--
John Goerzen        Linux, Unix programming           jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |