Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: June 2002:
[webdev] Re: Next steps

To: webdev@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [webdev] Re: Next steps
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:49:13 -0500

Dale W Hodge wrote:
> [...]

Maybe do the daily or weekly backup from the cron.daily scripts? Since
it needs to be done regularly and does not really require a separate
crontab entry for that.

If the system has adequate backup space could keep 1 to 4 of the most
recent backups similar to the way logrotate does it.

>>also log rotation is a potential problem
>>with aolserver.
>

> How does RedHat handle log rotation?

Cron looks in /etc/cron.daily
               /etc/cron.hourly
               /etc/cron.weekly
               /etc/cron.monthly
and executes all the scripts listed there at the appropriate time

The routine log rotation is daily, and the script can be modified or a
new script written to do the rotation.
/etc/logrotate.conf is where the individual packages are configured for
rotation and a stanza can be written for each log file, or any files in
/var/log that are owned by a package and have a config file in that
directory can be tailored for our needs.

Specifically, what is the problem with aolserver and log rotation?
I can work that out if I know what you want. (and have either root
access or sudo access)