Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: June 2002:
[webdev] Re: VNC setup instructions

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: VNC setup instructions
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 00:22:50 -0500

Normally, you start the vncserver by logging in and running vncserver. Each
server takes up one virtual display and occupies additional ram.  My
suggestion would be to start the server at login and kill it when done:
"vncserver -kill :1" with :1 being the virtual display number assigned at
startup.  John A. suggested a more secure way of connecting by using ssh:
"ssh -C -L 5954:aclug.notwerk.net:5901 aclug.notwerk.net", starting the
server on aclug.notwerk.net with "vncserver --geometry 800x600" and then
lauching the local vncviewer with "xvncviewer localhost:54"  I'm guessing
that '5901' represents the port number of the server, so if the virtual
display was :2 the port would be 5902.  We could probably set it up to start
the sever at login and kill it at logout.  I've never tried this, but it
should be possible.

> Also,  can we create setup instructions on the open ace website?

We could, but VNC is going to be limited to those who have shell access, and
even then we may want to limit how many people can use vnc as the server is
rather resource limited.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx