Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: tetrinext: March 2000:
[tetrinext] rating system second draft

To: tetrinext@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tetrinext] rating system second draft
From: Jared Johnson <solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 23:30:14 GMT

i've updated the TINT rating system page with a second draft of my spiffy
standard.  It can be found at http://tint.sourceforge.net/rating.html .  The
standard
has the following delicious features:

-a formula for unevenly matched games that actually works!
-more accurate rating adjustments when playing against a first-timer
-spiffy h1, h2, h3, and h4 tags -- brought to you by the latest in HTML
technology!
-thanks to brand new advances in HTML technology, the page now has a title and
image alt tags for the formulas!

basically, the system as a whole will now work, theoretically.  There are three
things i'm eager to get done at this point: first, write a script or program
that tabulates ratings, taking the input of only player names, team assignments,
and placements for each game; second, patch Tetrix to write player names, team
assignments, and placements for each game to a file; third, patch tetrix to use
the rating system.  If these three things can get done one way or another, i
will
then have even more ability to perfect the rating system that i've become
obsessed with.  If nobody else feels like doing any of it, i guess I'll learn C,
that's not such a bad idea anyway.

everyone feel free to send suggestions, etc. my way.  I'm hoping to soon add
examples and perhaps some useful graphs to illustrate just how nifty the system
really is, contributions are welcome.

--
Jared Johnson
solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.