Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: tetrinext: February 2000:
[tetrinext] Re: Network protocols

To: tetrinext@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tetrinext] Re: Network protocols
From: Ka-shu Wong <zillidot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:48:56 +1100 (EST)

> Makes sense up to this point, but i'm confused.  Do you mean that the client
> depends on what the server sends in the "action stream" and the server
> depends on
> the "action stream" being sent from the client to decide what to send to the
> client?  This would be wrong if you're talking about updating your own field
> (i.e.
> pressing a key and waiting a second for you field to show the move).

The client sends itself the action stream, without going through the
server. =)

> what I assume you mean is that the server sends the same action stream to the
> client to update _opponents' fields_.  This makes sense, although there are
> probably some that don't have to be sent, like block moves, in order to
> conserve
> bandwidth.

It probably isn't a good idea to send it to other clients, as that would
mean sending them information that they are not meant to know.  I think a
normal field update thingy would do here.

It is not possible to filter out block moves and stuff since they are used
to specify where the block will be dropped.

KS