Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: presentations: October 2003:
[presentations] Re: [committee] Re: Are we going to have a meeting tonig

To: "committee@xxxxxxxxx.presentations"@aclug.org
Subject: [presentations] Re: [committee] Re: Are we going to have a meeting tonight?
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:30:02 -0500

On Monday 06 October 2003 12:59, you wrote:
> That would be a very good idea.  I would like to help with the website
> and I am learning PHP.  That would work out great.  ~Anne
>
> On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 10:06, Clint Brubakken wrote:
> > Tonight is actually the first Monday. So our meeting should be week f=
rom
> > today.
> >
> > But we need to get a topic decided ASAP. You seem to have a idea , th=
> > website. Maybe Dale or Tom Hull can go over the website and PHP nuke =
and
> > show us how they put it together.
> >
> > That would cover PHP somewhat and that's something people want a
> > presentation on.

Here is a proposal for the next couple of meetings w/people willing to do=
=20
them(order variable):

Oct
1) Where ACLUG should go
Nov
2) PHP/Website Tom/Webdev
Dec
3) CD/DVD Burning James L
Jan
5) XFree86 Tom Wallis
Feb
4) History of Linux in an Hour James L, anyone else wanting to help.

We might combine one or two of them.

Or second suggestions by John Gorzen (09-15-2003):
2. The "renewed excitement" option:
   a. October presentation: "What's exciting about Linux" and why people
      are thrilled about it.  And what good ACLUG has done in its lifetim=
e.
      Where Linux is going, what new areas it's getting in to.  Rough
      areas of Linux, and why they're worth weathering.

   b. November presentation: split.  First half about OpenOffice
      and CD burning.  Second half about something more advanced:
      Python, Perl, Apache, mutt, etc.

      -- or --

      entire thing about printing with CUPS.  (Can appeal to both
      newbies and more advanced people)

   c. December: Ordered Q&A.  Maybe take a pool for pizza.
      Opener: "fun moments in Linux history"...  video of Bill Gates
      having Windows BSOD on him, the Microsoft KSH episode,
      Linus' letter to SCO.  Concludes with a "Linux geek's Christmas
      list" of suggestions from the audience :-)

:end

Notes: on the November one, just do it about OO.o and CD burning

We certainly need an install day sometime. (Might even make some of it a=20
two-day event for people wanting to install gentoo (several of them aroun=
d=20
wsu))

I will try and be in #aclug most of the weekdays, when I can.

James L.