Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: presentations: October 2002:
[presentations] Re: November presentation

To: <presentations@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [presentations] Re: November presentation
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:45:34 -0500

Hello!  It's great to see you back!!

> I'd enjoy giving a presentation for the Nov. 11 meeting if y'all
> would like.

By all means! Our topic list has been running on empty for months!

> Here are some topics that I could talk about:
>
> Topic Option 1: Non-PC Linux
>  * Discussion of using Linux on non-PC hardware with an emphasis on Apple
>    hardware.  Highlights pros and cons of Linux vs. other OSs and of
>    PC vs. non-PC hardware.  Also, demos of Linux on either a PowerBook
>    or a flat-panel iMac.  Information about Linux on handhelds, Tivos,
>    and other devices will also be present.
>    AND:
>  * Discussion of MacOS X.  Demo of the OS, coverage of its Unix
>    layer, and how to install Unix applications on MacOS X.  Live
>    comparisons with Linux on a PowerBook.

Might be a good topic, but I'd want more lead time to see if there was
interest before scheduling.

> Topic Option 2: Subversive Linux
>  * Discussion of the Subversion change-management system.  Subversion
>    is designed to be a replacement for CVS, and is a much more modern
>    system than CVS.  I will also talk about why people other than
>    programmers should be interested in Subversion, the current state
>    of Subversion development, how it relates to WebDAV and Apache,
>    and how to install it.
>    AND:
>  * "Sneaky Linux" -- why people sometimes sneak Linux onto corporate
>    networks, how it benefits the corporations, and why (and how) you
>    might want to do it too.

I like this one! It fits right into our WebDev discussion. It could be a
good segue into discussing our new website on Monday.

> Topic Option 3: Big Brother Wants Your Movies
>  * Discussion of current events surrounding the loss of rights, both
>    related to new digital media and to conventional media.  I'll give
>    a background on copyright, trademark, and patent law; a background
>    of the developments in the last 20 years that have a significant
>    impact on what's happening now; and ongoing court battles and
>    controversies surrounding content-management systems (CMS),
>    piracy, espionage, and more.
>    AND:
>  * Coverage of current attacks on Free Software -- proprietary
>    code in the Linux kernel, the bitkeeper issue, .NET, software
>    patents and the IETF, and more.
>  * If there is time after the presentation, I would be willing to debate
>    anyone that has a differing viewpoint.  Failing that, Q&A time.

Another good one!

My vote would be to cover Topic 2 this month and Topic 3 in Nov if you are
willing.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx