Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2009:
Re: Patch for Maximum Attachment size and Maximum Age

To: Mike Dawson <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Patch for Maximum Attachment size and Maximum Age
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:14:01 -0500

Mike Dawson wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have made a modification that allows for two new parameters that can
> be used on IMAP to IMAP syncs:
>
> maxage - number of days to look back at email.  This I have found
> invaluable when starting with existing accounts on narrowband connections.
> maxsize - maximum size of messages to download - e.g. to exclude large
> attachment (in bytes).
>
> What would be the requirements to get this contribution included?  I
> have checked this out from Git - so I can easily push it that way.

1) Clean code

2) Testing

3) Documentation

#1 you have probably done.  You might think about the implications,
though, of setting maxage to, say, 90 days and then running another sync
10 days later -- will it delete mail from the local side?  What happens
if you copy a 120-day-old message into your local folder?  These
implications should be documented.

#2 - try your new code with and without these options, see what it does.

#3 - include a patch to offlineimap.conf in your submission.

You can send the git patch to me directly.  You can tell me separately,
or in your commit message, that you've done #1 and #2 above.

> I would of course like to put this together for Maildir and Gmail - but
> this might take a few days to finish.  I guess it would be better just
> to push the final version when this is done?

Yes, that would be preferable.

Thanks for your work!