Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: June 2009:
Re: Can imap syncs be done without INTERNALDATE?

To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Can imap syncs be done without INTERNALDATE?
From: Marc MERLIN <marc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:05:34 -0700

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 03:56:27PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 01:28:29PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > I am having issues linked the amount of overhead imap traffic that
> > offlineimap
> > generates during each big folder sync.
> >
> > The dev guy I talked to said that I shouldn't be sending all that
> > INTERNALDATE traffic and should be able to sync without asking for that
> > (which apparently doubles the amount of traffic generated). He says other
> > programs that do 2 way imap syncs do so without INTERNALDATE.
> >
> > So, what about offlineimap, can that be removed, or does it fulfill an
> > important purpose?
>
> IIRC there is something in the message that can be edited without
> modifying INTERNALDATE.  It's been a while, though, and the RFC
> contradicts that.  So maybe this is just bogus.

Other clients don't seem to request INTERNALDATE for 2 way imap syncs, and
it works fine for me without it while cutting bandwidth use in 2, so I'm
pretty sure it's fine without it.

> In any case, sounds like you probably want the quick sync feature;
> quick syncs transfer a whole lot less data...

Aldready do, but they take just as much data when quick sync notices that
the folder changed (which for me is about every time it checks, which is
every 15mn).

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/