Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: September 2008:
Re: Keeping offlineimap running indefinately

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Keeping offlineimap running indefinately
From: "David L. Emerson" <demerson3x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:36:55 -0700

Hi Daniel,

It sure seems odd that cron can't restart it, but I'm not really cron
user so I can't comment. offlineimap frequently crashes on me, though,
so I wrote a fancy bash script to restart it. It essentially does this:

while ! offlineimap; do sleep 1; done

I'm hard-pressed to remember whether I've had trouble with this method
with network timeouts (which have occurred) or other issues. At any
rate, I've been using this script for over a year, and the vast
majority of the time it just works, sometimes restarting offlineimap
dozens of times per day due to crashes.

Of course I am still using offlineimap 5.99.4, and I'm not sure if
recent changes would prevent this from working; but there is definitely
a lock file in my metadata folder that prevents a second instance from
starting.

Good luck, (maybe someone with more knowledge will step in :)
David.