Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: April 2008:
Re: LocalStatus as SQLlite

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LocalStatus as SQLlite
From: Stewart Smith <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:00:10 +1100

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 10:16 -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> First off, thank you for your continued work and persistence on this.
Not a problem - just maintaining what i find useful. mmmm... free
software.

> Referring back to the original thread [1], it looks like there may be a
> couple of regressions:
>
> 1) That we cannot use threading to simultaneously download multiple messages
> in a single folder;

Yep. One possible way around this would be to add locking to LocalStatus
so that only one thread can use the object at once (but every other bit
of code can run in parallel).

> 2) That changes are not committed immediately after each change (but only at
> the end of processing a folder)

Or every 100 flag changes.

This is intentional. Commit == fsync() - so it's a relatively expensive
operation. When there's been a lot of changes (e.g. marking lots of
mails as read... common for me on heavy traffic mailing lists), it's the
difference between being able to sync about 100/s and a lot more /sec...
and also reduces file system journal traffic and leaves more disk ops
(sync) for other apps you're probably running at the same time.

If you crash during this part of the sync, it'll just have to re-sync up
to 100 messages flags.. so I don't think it's much of an issue.

--
Stewart Smith (stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.flamingspork.com/

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part